About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I'm not your typical runner. Not skinny. Not fast. But I do love to run and I love races!

Friday, December 11, 2009

A 360 degree turnaround?

So last week’s blog (which never got written!) was supposed to be about excuses – as in listing all my excuses for not getting any runs in that week. I got in a 3 mile Christmas light run on Thursday with my running group. And that’s it.

But all of a sudden, this week I’ve turned it around. I got in a 12 miler on Sunday. And surprisingly I felt really strong during the 12 miler! Went a little faster than normal, going about the pace I had wanted to run for San Antonio. At the end I was thinking “If only this were Nov 15th instead of December 6th.”.

Although I felt good during and after the run, I was still sore on Tuesday. But I decided to meet my friend at the gym that evening anyway. I rarely see her and I actually joined this gym so we could work out together! I was going to run 2 miles on the treadmill, and switch to the elliptical. I could not even run for 2 minutes! So I switched and just walked a fast mile, and then did 40 minutes on the elliptical.

So for some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to run 3 miles on Wednesday morning. Yeah, that run sucked. I guess the only good thing is that I finished it, although it’s a loop so you kind of don’t have any choice but to finish!

So I decided, let’s run again on Thursday. I was meeting a new running partner. I had run the 12 miles along side her on Saturday and we were a good match pace wise. I had mentioned that I run at 5am and she wanted to meet me. She even sent me an email Wednesday morning about running together on Thursday. So I responded back with the time and place (Memorial Park swimming pool parking lot) and my cell phone #, in case something came up and she couldn’t meet me. Well, 5am, and I’m the only car in the parking lot! I gave her until 5:05 and then started running. Luckily, there are many others out there running at 5 am. I usually hate running by myself and rarely do it, but I had a fantastic run! Fast for me! My run intervals were 12-12:20, and I even went into the 11’s! So I guess the good thing that came out of being stood up is that I realized that I can run at 5am by myself. And I can have a good run, even if by myself.

Today is a well deserved rest day. I ran and worked out 4 out of the past 5 days! So I’m getting a deep tissue massage, because I also decided it was a good idea to run 8 miles on Saturday, and then do a 5 mile Jingle Bell Run on Sunday!

Let’s hope this burst of motivation lasts!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed with the week that you've had and you always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Have fun at Jingle Bell Run! I seem to frequently have other plans on the Sunday afternoons that event falls upon.

    (P.S. You probably really mean to call this a "180 degree turnaround." An object that rotates 360 degrees ends up facing in the same direction where it started!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...Thanks Vince! Well, next week I may end up in the same place where I started! (hope not though!)

    ReplyDelete