About Me

My photo
Houston, TX
I'm not your typical runner. Not skinny. Not fast. But I do love to run and I love races!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pain in the A$$


Yes, currently I'm experiencing a pain in the piriformis! Which means I'm also experiencing knee pain. The issue is related to the fabulous sciatic nerve, which many associate with back pain...which is probably why my back is also bothering me.

For a little background information
(below from www.eorthopod.com)

Pain in the buttock that radiates down the leg is commonly called sciatica. Problems in the piriformis muscle can cause problems with the sciatic nerve. This is because the sciatic nerve runs under (and sometimes through) the piriformis muscle on its way out of the pelvis. The piriformis muscle can squeeze and irritate the sciatic nerve in this area,leading to the symptoms of sciatica.


The symptoms of sciatica come from irritation of the sciatic nerve. It's still a mystery why the piriformis muscle sometimes starts to irritate the sciatic nerve. Many doctors think that the condition begins when the piriformis muscle goes into spasm and tightens against the sciatic nerve, squeezing the nerve against the bone of the pelvis


I'm sure that is more than you ever wanted to know but this is not a fun feeling - especially when you are running, although I think it's more bothersome when you are at rest and still feel it. I shouldn't call it bothersome - I should call it what it is...which is painful!

I am stretching more thru out the day, just to try and relieve the pain, and I think I may do a yoga tape tomorrow. The yoga tape that is still in the shrink wrapping. I really need this pain to go away before Saturday's long run. It's only 9 miles, but Tuesday's 3 miler was nearly unbearable, and today's 4.5 mile run was not a walk in the park either!

No comments:

Post a Comment